Worcestershire Archaeological Society have been working with Worcester City Museums and other partners to create an outline catalogue of the Society’s collection of pictures, furniture, antiquities and other objects for the first time.
The collection has been built through the generosity of members and their friends over the Society’s 156-year life. Other 19th century societies in the county, especially the Worcestershire Natural History Society, were more active in collecting and their collections formed the basis of the Hastings Museum in the Victoria Institute, now Worcester City Art Gallery & Museum. Nevertheless the Society still owns a substantial collection which reflects the different phases of the Society’s development.
It is especially strong in watercolours, prints and drawings. Of these the Parker-Hore collection is of national importance, containing extensive and remarkable collections relating to medieval floor tiles and a world-wide collection of topographical prints and drawings started by the distinguished Oxford publisher and architectural writer, John Henry Parker (1806-1884). There are also individual items of considerable interest to the county’s history, including the Habington Chest of 1605 and the circular table from Sir Edward Elgar’s Music Room.
The Society has no museum in which to exhibit it’s collection and consequently it’s collection is stored with appropriate partners across the county including Worcester City Museums who care for the Parker Hore collection, the Harold Aston collection, a collection of medieval floor tiles from Halesowen Abbey, and the Habington Chest.
The collection has been researched and the catalogue compiled by Stephen Price B.A., M.A., F.M.A. and will be published in the forthcoming Transactions of Worcestershire Archaeological Society. Stephen Price is the Deputy Chairman of the Society. Further information about Worcestershire Archaeological Society can be found at www.worcestershirearchaeologicalsociety.org.uk